5:32 PM
Saturday, October 25, 2014 - 5:32 PM
65.0°F
Condition: 65.0°F - Fair
Dewpoint: 48.0 F (8.9 C)
Pressure: 1006.6 mb
Visibility: 10.00 miles
Wind: from the Northwest at 8.1 gusting to 18.4 MPH (7 gusting to 16 KT)
Last Updated on Oct 25 2014, 3:53 pm MDT
New Airport Fire Fighting Vehicle at BOI
Tuesday, May 08, 2012

ARFFtruck050812.JPGPassengers hope never to see an airport firefighting vehicle needed, but nothing says "safety and security" like a large Aircraft Rescue and Fire Fighting truck coming to the rescue should that need arise.

 

Today, the newest tool for the safe care of all who use the Boise Airport was commissioned. After an introduction by Airport Director Rebecca Hupp, Council President Maryann Jordan and Fire Chief Dennis Doan commemorated the inauguration of the new fire truck with a ceremonial spraying (washing) of the unit followed by fire fighters pushing the truck back into its bay at Boise Airport Fire Station #19. The tradition is reminiscent of the time when horses were used to pull water carriages to fight fires.

 

These specialized vehicles have a normal service life of approximately 18 years. The original S-9 ARFF truck has
close to 19 years of service and is experiencing high maintenance costs to keep it in service. The vehicle's dedicated use is to keep the flying public and BOI employees safe by mitigating Aircraft emergencies and fires. It, along with its crew, is the first responder vehicle capable of reaching an aircraft within 3 minutes of any incident.

 

This equipment adds updated controls for remote operation of the nozzle. The new truck has a fully electronic cab
compared to mechanical controls of the prior vehicle, with drivers using joystick controls for quick and precise response.

 

The vehicle cost $631,319, of which 95% was paid with a grant from the Federal Aviation Administration and the remaining 5% paid using airport cash reserves. FAA regulations require the Airport to provide aircraft rescue and fire fighting capability and the addition of this equipment enables the Airport to ensure a high level of readiness.

 

-BOI-


BOISE AIRPORT (BOI) is a municipally owned entity operating as a self-supporting enterprise. No City of Boise
general funds are used to operate the Airport. BOI is served by 5 airlines which offer daily service to 16 non-stop cities. In 2011, more than 2.8 million passengers traveled through Boise Airport.

Brought to you by the City of Boise See More  Down Arrow
The City of Boise The City of Boise

The City of Boise is dedicated to enhancing Boise's quality of life by working in partnership with the community to foster and support citizen well being and healthy community environments.

Right ArrowExplore more City of Boise sites
City of Boise City of Boise

Our Mission - "Making Boise the most livable city in the country."

Ridge to Rivers Ridge to Rivers

A partnership formed with the vision of preserving the Boise Foothills and trail systems.

BOISE150 BOISE150

BOISE 150 commemorates the 150th anniversary of the city's founding.

CurbIt Curbit

A sustainable Boise program.

Economic Development Economic Development

Identifies advantages of doing business in the City of Boise.

BEE BEE

Explore our wild community, develop a sense of place, and discover the lessons in nature.